Dial-A-Ride (DAR) compliments the existing transit system by providing curb-to-curb, next day transportation service for Kingsport seniors age 65 or older and also for residents with a permanent or temporary health-related condition. Please note that all of our vehicles our wheelchair accessible.
Dial-A-Ride service operates within Kingsport’s boundaries. To get started, simply complete the application or call KATS at (423) 224-2613.
DAR ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) service provides shared-ride public transportation that complies with ADA requirements. All DAR ADA eligible customers must be certified by the transit agency before scheduling a ride.
DAR 65 service provides shared-ride public transportation to seniors that are age 65 or older. Proof of ID required for riding all KATS services.
“How to Use Dial-A-Ride 65”
- Register-Simply provide your name, address and phone number.
- Schedule a Trip-Call the day before you want to take a trip and provide the time and the address of the location you want to go.
- Prepare For your Trip-You must have correct fare, as drivers cannot make change. A Medicare card or photo identification with your verified age must be shown at time of boarding vehicle.
- Return Home-Simply Call KATS for a return trip home and the next available vehicle will be sent to pick you up.
Dial-A-Ride ADA trips that are scheduled within the designated ¾ mile fixed route Dial-A-Ride zone are $2.00 each way. *** zone fees apply
*** Zone fees: Any trips scheduled outside the ¾ mile Dial-A-Ride zone will require you to pay a zone charge based on the location of the desired trip. Zone charges vary, so we do encourage you to check with the dispatcher when scheduling your trip to determine the appropriate fare.
Dial-A-Ride 65 trips are $3.00 each way for scheduled trips that are within the designated ¾ mile Dial-A-Ride zone. Beyond this zone, additional zone fees will apply.
Please Note: Correct change is required and must be paid upon boarding the service. For more information on KATS Fixed Route and Dial-A-Ride services, visit our Fares page.
1. Become eligible for Dial-A-Ride.
• To use Dial-A-Ride ADA services, you must be certified as eligible. Please complete the application to begin! Download and complete the application now.
• To use Dial-A-Ride 65, simply be of the age 65 or older and call 423.224.2613 to begin.
2. Schedule your trip.
Schedule a trip by calling 423.224.2613 between the hours of 8 a.m and 5 p.m., Sunday through Friday.
Should you need to cancel your trip, please contact KATS at 224-2613 at least one (1) hour before the scheduled pick up- time. Any trip not cancelled at least one (1) hour before the scheduled pick-up time will be considered a No-Show trip.
3. Be prepared for your trip.
We encourage you to be prepared for your trip 30 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time. Drivers will only wait for 5 minutes before the trip is considered a no-show.
4. Plan and schedule your return trip.
To schedule a return trip, call 423.224.2613. Schedule a “will-call trip”, so the driver can pick you up. Please be patient “will-calls” do take time, and we will be there to get you as soon as possible. The last call request for a return trip home will be at 5 p.m.
Fully complete the application and mail or deliver to:
KATS Transit Office
109 Clay Street
Kingsport, TN 37660.
Please note: Only applications that are submitted with all sections completed and intact will be reviewed for eligibility.
For application in Spanish, please click here.
TTY Telephone Information for persons who are hearing impaired:
If you have a hearing or speech disability or use a TTY, please use the FCC 711 dialing code to access a Telecommunications Relay Service that can forward your comment.